Downsizing: you probably have heard a friend or family member talk about how it’s not as overwhelming as it may seem… that all it takes is a little organization, patience, and teamwork… and then you will be rid of all the clutter that’s been weighing you down. But what about after that? Just what are the rewards of downsizing to senior living?
Actually, quite a few! At Heritage Communities, we want you to know just what you can expect as you give yourself a whole new level of freedom.
Downsizing to senior living means lighter days ahead
When you clear out what you don’t need, you make room for more of what you want, and that doesn’t have to mean more stuff. Downsizing to senior living gives you the opportunity to clear space in your life, your mind, and your calendar for an inspiring lifestyle with new opportunities.
6 benefits of downsizing to senior living
1. Less stuff. Having too much stuff can make you feel trapped and out of control. Too much to worry over, too much to clean, and too many memories (some of which might not be the ones you want to relive). Letting it go is a way to make new choices for what brings you joy now. It’s your opportunity to decorate and furnish your new senior living apartment in the style that suits your active, inspired lifestyle.
2. Less stress. Stress is bad medicine; it can make your head hurt, your muscles tense, and your stomach queasy. Being a homeowner brings with it a 24/7 level of stress, from the roof to the insurance to the rickety front porch. Downsizing to senior living can wipe away all the stress of living at home, and in its place, offer you the peace of mind that daily details are being handled for you.
3. More time. What will you do now that you no longer need to worry about home maintenance, daily chores, yardwork, preparing meals, housekeeping and more? Anything you want to! Downsizing to senior living is your ticket to more hours in the day that you can fill anyway you choose. Join in the many activities on the calendar, meet friends for lunch, attend a yoga class, or even just sit back, relax, and know that time is truly on your side!
Download our free guide, The Family Decision Toolkit!
4. More amenities. Talk about a gain: your new senior living lifestyle is going to feel like a vacation that never ends. In fact, at Heritage Communities, we like to say that retirement should bring more to your life. More fun. More freedom. More flexibility. More choices. You can join a book club, learn to paint, exercise, hear a concert, see a movie, drop by the pub, walk your dog, have your grandchildren over, visit the salon, enjoy the outdoors, learn a new hobby, and so much more. And it’s all just steps from your door.
5. More energy. The same old routine can often drain you, while new adventures can give you renewed purpose and zest. Downsizing to senior living is like shedding your old skin: letting go of worries and finding new energy in all that lies ahead, like new friends. New hobbies. New knowledge. New ways to reflect on the impact you want your life to have on those around you. Maybe writing your family history felt overwhelming before, but now that you can really focus on your story, it might be time to make your dream come true!
6. More freedom. Downsizing to senior living means you’re in control. Want to sleep late? Go right ahead. Thinking about taking a walk or joining the Zumba class? It’s waiting for you. Maybe have your grandson over for lunch? Join the group for an outing? Or start that new mystery novel you’ve been hearing about. Your choice.
You’ll find Heritage senior living communities throughout the Midwest, Arizona and in Texas. Each community offers a unique array of services and levels of living. At Heritage, every day is yours to enjoy however you like!