Any time of year, but especially during the holidays, respite care at a senior living community can be a gift. For a caregiver, who needs a break to rest and recharge with the reassurance their loved one is in reliable, trustworthy hands. As well as for a loved one who could benefit from a change of scenery, new friends, and a firsthand look at community life. Respite, or a short-term stay, is an option worth consideration during busy times.
What is respite care?
Respite care is a short-term senior care option that fills in the gaps when a full-time caregiver isn’t available. Length of stay can vary between a few days, a few weeks or a few months. Often respite care is the choice when the primary caregiver has to be out of town or needs to take a break from caregiving. Respite care can also be an option when a person has had surgery and completed rehabilitation, but is not yet ready to return home. Additionally, respite stays can be utilized is if you or someone you care for is considering moving to a senior living community. Respite care is a way to “try it out.” You will be introduced to all the exceptional benefits available in the community, as well as become familiar with team members, make new friends, and explore an array of interesting activities. It’s a preview of how carefree life can be without the commitment!
What does respite care offer?
Peace of mind. Safety and security. A new perspective. Respite care is truly a gift that benefits more than just one person. If you are the caregiver, you will benefit from an opportunity to take a break without worry. Your loved one will benefit from being in a comfortable, welcoming environment with 24/7 personal attention.
Benefits of respite care for the caregiver:
- Opportunity to rest and recharge
- Peace of mind knowing your loved one is in good hands
- Enjoy the relationship with your loved one without being the caregiver. Participating in fun events like community activities, meals, and special events
- Personal time to travel, take a vacation, handle business
- Self-care such as exercising, meditation
- Ability to maintain a sense of self by reconnecting with hobbies, interests
- Preparation time for holidays: shopping, baking, seeing family
Benefits for the respite resident:
- Safe/secure environment with specially trained caregivers
- Access to nutritious dining, exercise opportunities, and social activities
- Opportunity to socialize and make new friends with their peers
- Change of pace, new experiences
- A comfortable way to experience a potential lifestyle and decide how it feels
At Heritage Communities, we are very proud to offer assisted living respite care. Apartments include a kitchenette with a microwave and full-sized freezer/refrigerator, cable television, wireless high-speed internet, utilities, individually controlled heat and air conditioning, window treatments and smoke/fire detectors and sprinkler systems. In fact, for respite stays, furnishings are also included! But It’s more than just a residence to call home for a short while. While you or a loved one are staying at Heritage, you are able to immerse yourself in our exceptional lifestyle. Our goal is simple: to help every person remain as independent as possible for as long as possible.
Here are just some of the amenities and services available at Heritage Communities:
- Beautifully landscaped, secured outdoor courtyard
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily in our full-service, restaurant-style dining room
- Private dining room available for parties and social gatherings
- Weekly housekeeping and laundry
- Recreational trips and extensive activities
- Religious services on-site
- Transportation equipped with chair lift
- Personal safety pendant call system for 24-hour assistance
- Certified and attentive care staff on-site 24/7
- Weekly whirlpool bath
- Small pets welcome
- Salon/Barber shop
- Exercise facilities including classes
- Community spaces such as a Library, Pub and Movie Theater
Heritage Communities is focused on helping seniors find the key to Living Better. If you have questions about respite care, or how to make the right senior living choice for a loved one, download our free guide, Family Decision Toolkit: How to choose the right senior living community. Or contact us today.